1911 Tacitcal
Please Login to Continue!

From 12 to 20

Go down

From 12 to 20

Post  txbonds on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:16 pm

Was thinking recently of selling my 12 guage 870 and picking up a 20 guage 870 or similar. Just thinking it would be easier for my son to shoot one day, and for my wife to handle as well. Also, it would mesh better from an ammo standpoint with my dad's shotty's.

That said, anything I should be considering? Not sure what barrel length I'm interested in as it really wouldn't be a HD gun as much as just a general usage shotty.

~ Thomas Jefferson
txbonds

Back to top Go down

Re: From 12 to 20

Post  Bull_127 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:21 pm

Have only ever owned one 20 gauge and it was a charles daly. I would say you should probably follow the same rules as you would with a 12 gauge.

20 gauge is plenty powerful enough to take down anything in North America with a slug....

"The intelligent complete the circle"
Bull_127
Admin

http://1911tactical.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus6176 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:48 pm

Instead of changing your gun, you could try and find a single shot .410 for your son to start him out.
Marcus6176
Just got here
Just got here

Back to top Go down

Post  txbonds on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:23 am

Marcus6176 wrote:Instead of changing your gun, you could try and find a single shot .410 for your son to start him out.

One day I will for sure, but he's only 3.5 yrs old, so I've got time. Smile

But, I've been shooting my Dad's single shot 20 on the weekends, and I must say I too am preferring the 20 guage over my 12 guage also. Plenty of power, smaller shells, less noise, less recoil, etc.

~ Thomas Jefferson
txbonds

Back to top Go down

Post  OldGuy on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:12 am

txbonds wrote:
Marcus6176 wrote:Instead of changing your gun, you could try and find a single shot .410 for your son to start him out.

One day I will for sure, but he's only 3.5 yrs old, so I've got time. Smile

But, I've been shooting my Dad's single shot 20 on the weekends, and I must say I too am preferring the 20 guage over my 12 guage also. Plenty of power, smaller shells, less noise, less recoil, etc.

. . . and less of a load going down range.

I know you know that. But sometimes I just enjoy stating the obvious. Wink

Seriously though, I can agree wholeheartedly with preferring the 20 over the 12 from the shooter's prospective. Well, come to think of it I can see how the shotted's perspective could be that way too. Surprised

I guess really my prejudice is showing. But, well, you know, the prejudice comes from the 'stop the fight as effectively and expediently as possible' line of thinking. Should that not be one's perspective, for whatever reason, then I can easily see preferring the 20 over the 12.

OldGuy
Just got here
Just got here

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum